Restoration Local Advantage 1-888-443-3110
- 24/7 Rapid Response & Free Estimates!
- Flooded Basement Restoration Services
- Sewer Clean Up and Restoration
- Emergency Water Damage Clean Up. Get A Response in 60 Minutes.
Flood Season, Time to Protect your Home
Spring is here and although it brings a lot of enjoyable experiences like blooming flowers and warm weather it can also bring a lot of trouble as well. Flooding is most common in the Spring and many counties have already experienced flood warnings. Don’t wait for your county to be under a flood watch before you take preventative steps to protect your home. The time to act is now, when you have time to check your home and basement for signs of potential flooding problems. Below are some important steps to take before a flood happens, that should be carried out every spring before flooding can occur.
- Flooding most often occurs in the Spring for two reasons. The first reason is clear because in the Spring we have heavy amounts of rain that the ground cannot absorb. However, the other reason for high flooding in the Spring is because of the toll that Winter takes on your home. The freezing and warming and refreezing cycle that can occur during a Winter can be disastrous to your home. Water can fit into the smallest of cracks and then when it freezes it expands creating a larger crack or hole than before. This is why it is important to go over your basement in early Spring to make sure that no new cracks in walls or pipes have occurred over the Winter.
- A combination of Winter storms and Spring winds can also affect your home very negatively. This is why it is important to make sure that all outside water gutters are still intact and working properly. If water is not being drained away from the house properly then all of the rain will collect at the base of your home and increase the chances of having a flooded basement.
- An additional step that should be taken with your drains and gutters is to check and make sure that they are not clogged. The best time to take care of cleaning out your gutters is late Fall when all of the leaves have fallen off the trees. However, many people forget to take care of this during the Fall and it is important to take care of before heavy rains occur in the Spring. If gutters are clogged then it doesn’t matter if your drains are leading away from the home because your gutters will overflow and water will settle at the base of your home.
- In addition to taking care of exterior drains and gutters it is important to check your interior draining systems. If your basement has a sump pump make sure that it is working properly before you risk dealing with a flooded basement. If you do not have a sump pump it is a good idea of buy one or a water vac to keep on hand in case of a water damage emergency.
Overall, it is important to take preventative small steps before a flood rather than having to deal with the expenses of a flooded basement. If you do find your home or basement under water be sure to dry up the mess by calling a water restoration company. Water restoration professionals can minimize water damage and restore your home to the way it was before the damaged occur. Although water restoration teams are great for fixing flooded basements it is always better to avoid the headache and take preventative steps before something major happens.