Flooding Almost Always Means Mold
Nobody wants to think of having to deal with flooding problems in their home. After all it doesn’t take a great deal of water to do a ton of damage. Take a long hard look at your living room, and then try to imagine the flooring covered by as little as an inch of water. Just an inch. You might be surprised to discover just how much of the room may be affected, not to mention the spillover into other areas of the home. Your flooring, carpeting, rugs, electrical outlets…..an inch of water is even enough to allow it to begin creeping up in the drywall of the home. The damage potential is staggering.
Unfortunately, far too many people mistakenly believe that all that is required in situations such as this is to simply remove the excess water and dry everything up. And while that should be done, it should also be done with haste, since mold will appear in the aftermath of flooding, bringing with it all kinds of various health risks for you and your family. Mold often appears in as little as 72 hours following a water damage event, sooner if the water is sewage based. It spreads rapidly, and can be extraordinarily difficult to remove. What I am saying is that the clock is ticking, and you have some important decisions to make in a relatively short amount of time.
Mold basically grows anywhere that there is sufficient moisture to sustain it, and what better place for it to establish than a recently flooded home, where things are not only wet, but the overall humidity levels inside the structure have been significantly elevated. While mold grows wild and free in the outdoors, with little or no ill effects on the rest of us, having a mold growth in an enclosed indoor environment can produce serious problems. Suddenly the mold spores that we have been encountering intermittently are being inhaled in large concentrations. When you stop to consider that the purpose for mold is to break down organic tissue, the threat of physical harm becomes very apparent.
Basically, the water damage problem should be taken care of first, since it will only continue to get worse as long as it is allowed to stand. Once that is done, the home should be checked for mold. If mold growth is found it should not only be removed by a qualified, competent mold remediation professional, but the area should be treated in order to make sure that the mold does not return. Surfaces will need to be cleaned, disinfected, and sanitized, ventilation through the area will need to be improved, and the relative humidity levels should be reduced to somewhere between 40-45%.
Only by taking these steps can you be assured of having no further mold problems. Remember that any restoration and remediation professional you hire should be able to provide you with a clear and concise plan for getting rid of mold and preventing it from returning.