Restoration Local Advantage 1-888-443-3110
- 24/7 Rapid Response & Free Estimates!
- Flooded Basement Restoration Services
- Sewer Clean Up and Restoration
- Emergency Water Damage Clean Up. Get A Response in 60 Minutes.
January is proving to be a yo-yo month in regards to temperatures this year. One week the country experiences semi-pleasant weather…the next week temperatures plunge into freezing temperatures – or even subzero temps for some of us. The rising and falling of temperatures – especially around the freezing mark – tend to put us at a higher risk for water damage than when temperatures stay in the same zone.
The reason that yo-yo temperatures cause more water damage is due to snow and ice forming then quickly melting repeatedly. This runoff of excess water needs somewhere to go. That somewhere is often in our gutters causing ice dams which block up our roofs, our basements, or even into poorly sealed window frames.
Preventing flooding and water damage during times like these starts in warmer whether when we can take to clean out our gutters, make roof repairs, and seal any cracks around our windows or in our basements. However, it’s January now and the risk for water damage is still here. We can take steps to prevent water damage from occurring by taking any of the following steps that may apply to your home:
- Use caulk to seal any cracks or gaps between your walls and windows, in your basement or in your attic. This may only serve as a temporary seal in some areas, but it’s a start.
- Make sure you are properly insulated – especially in your attic. If your attic stays warm, your roof will stay warm and prevent water from freezing in any cracks between the attic and the roof.
- Don’t allow heavy icicles to build up on gutters or downspouts. Carefully remove them with a broom. Do this while they’re still small to avoid a dangerous situation.
- If you identify a small water damage issue, have it fixed right away. Delaying it will only cause bigger, more costly problems in the future.
Call our water damage cleanup company when winter’s erratic weather wreaks havoc on your home. Our professional water damage restoration crews are available day and night, every day of the year. While winter weather may be unpredictable, we are here for you regardless of what’s going on outside!