Restoration Local Advantage 1-888-443-3110
- 24/7 Rapid Response & Free Estimates!
- Flooded Basement Restoration Services
- Sewer Clean Up and Restoration
- Emergency Water Damage Clean Up. Get A Response in 60 Minutes.
Odor Coming from Crawl Space
Most homes have either a basement or a crawl space. Unlike basements, crawl spaces are very easy to forget about because they are rarely ever used unless something has gone wrong. However, it is important to keep an eye on your crawl space to make sure no problems are growing below your home. If you have noticed an odor coming from your crawl space it is important to take action immediately.
If you smell a strange odor coming from your home, it is important to check the crawl space. Odors coming from the crawl space can be the result of water damage or mold damage within the home. Crawl spaces are highly susceptible to water and mold damage because of flooding. During times of high rainfall and precipitation water often makes its way into the crawl space and can sit there for days or even weeks. The longer water sits the more likely damage is to occur to the home. This is why it is important to keep an eye on your crawl space during times of heavy precipitation.
If you feel your crawl space might have water or mold damage it is important to call a water restoration specialist to return the area to normal. A number of problems can arise from damaged crawl spaces, which include the following.
- Structural Damage- When water comes into contact with any beams or boards of the home the wood will soak up the moisture and begin to warp. Over time boards can push apart from each other or the wood will actually begin to rot and decay, weakening the foundation of your home.
- Electrical Damage- In many cases wires and electrical circuits are run underneath the house. If there is significant flooding then water can cause your electricity to short circuit and even cause fires or electric shock.
- Mold Damage- Even small amounts of moisture can lead to mold growth within the home. Many people do not worry about mold if it is in their crawl space because it isn’t an area of high activity. However, mold within the crawl space can have serious effects on your health. Because many mold spores travel through the air people still breath in the toxins even when they are not in the crawl space.
- Animal and Insect Infestation- A common problem with crawl spaces can be rodent and insect infestation, even without water intrusion. However, if water is in the crawl space it attracts animals and bugs to the area as they have a water source as well as breeding grounds. Keeping water out of the crawl space will also help keep other unwanted pests out of the area as well.
Water leaking into crawl spaces is a very common problem that can cause a number of frustrations. It is important to keep your home waterproof to avoid further costly damages and health issues. If you have water damage concerns regarding your crawl space you should act immediately and call a restoration company as soon as possible to minimize the damage.