Restoration Local Advantage 1-888-443-3110

Residential and Commercial Water Damage Cleanup Services
  • 24/7 Rapid Response & Free Estimates!
  • Flooded Basement Restoration Services
  • Sewer Clean Up and Restoration
  • Emergency Water Damage Clean Up. Get A Response in 60 Minutes.

Preventing Common Fire Causes in Your Home

Fire damage to a bedroom.When you are thinking about fire prevention in your home, two common causes are smoking and cooking. Both activities use open flames or high heat and when engaged in these activities you should be very careful how flammable materials like clothing or grease and oil interact with the heat you are manipulating. Likewise, be careful how you dispose of cigarette and cigar butts, as these can retain an ember and cause fires when you least expect it. There are many other potential fire causes in any home. Take a moment to consider your own house.

Most homes contain a large number of flammable materials. These hazardous materials might be paints, glue and adhesives, any sort of cleaning chemicals, or flammable liquids like oil and grease. The list is exhaustive. For cleaning supplies, you might have oven cleaners and drain cleaners. You should have wood cleaning solutions and toilet scrubs. Metal polishers and bleach in addition to pool chemicals can all be potentially flammable under the right circumstances. This is not even mentioning workshop or panting supplies, pesticides, home gardening products, automotive upkeep materials and other miscellaneous things like the propane tank for a grill or lighter fluids. Face it – your home has a lot of things that burn or explode pretty easily. You should take care to store all potentially flammable materials safely. Learn to buy only as much as you need in a short period of time. Do not store large amounts of these materials if you do not require them. Refrain from storing these chemicals or hazardous materials in food containers and do not ever mix chemicals together without explicitly knowing exactly what will happen beforehand. Some chemicals mixed together will explode or ignite without warning.

Another large danger for home fires is the electrical system. Unsafe or aging electrical work can be dangerous fire hazards. Using damaged electrical conductors, daisy chained extension cords and maxed out electrical sockets are all practices to be avoided and repaired. Attempt to avoid using low quality electrical devices or shoddily made appliances because of the lack of insulation, proper electrical wiring, and possible excess heat. You should never use a large number of electrically powered devices in a small area. Check your appliances for properly grounded plugs and do not overload electrical sockets and power strips. If you use an electrical heater, make sure that it is not placed close to flammable materials. All of these items can ignite and cause a house fire. If fire damage occurs, you must take care to extinguish an electrical fire with a CO2 fire extinguisher, not water based fire extinguishers. Using the wrong medium will lead to consequences, as electricity runs through water. If you need help or advice, do not hesitate to contact your local fire department or a fire restoration company. These sorts of organizations are well versed on fire safety and can offer advice and estimates on how to make your home a safer place.

Other areas to watch in your home are fireplaces and other heating devices, such as portable space heaters, electrical blankets, and ironing or hair straightening devices. These all achieve high temperatures that can cause flammable materials to ignite if improperly placed. Also take care to empty garbage appropriately and away from heat sources, as this can also ignite and often no one will be nearby to stop it. As you become more familiar with the common causes of fire use your common sense and knowledge to help arrange things in your home. Share your ideas with your family and friends and garner advice on how to prevent a fire in your home. Prevention is important to securing your home and avoiding costly accidents that require the use of fire restoration companies or other professionals to help rebuild a home after a house fire.

If you have fire or smoke damage, call Restoration Local 24/7 at 1-888-443-3110 for a free estimate!

24/7 Call Now: 1-888-443-3110