Restoration Local Advantage 1-888-443-3110

Residential and Commercial Water Damage Cleanup Services
  • 24/7 Rapid Response & Free Estimates!
  • Flooded Basement Restoration Services
  • Sewer Clean Up and Restoration
  • Emergency Water Damage Clean Up. Get A Response in 60 Minutes.

What are Grease Fires and How Can I Fight Grease Fires?

Grease fires.No matter what the situation uncontrolled fires in the home can be very scary and difficult to control. Most people know the appropriate steps to take in dealing with a fire, but did you know that there are different types of fires? One specific type of fire that is especially tricky in dealing with is a grease fire. Grease fires are most commonly found in the kitchen on stovetops. This is because the fuel for these fires are oil and grease that people are cooking with or have collected over past cooking experiences. The fact that the source of the fire is a liquid makes it unusual to deal with and you should know the appropriate steps to put out this type of fire.

Especially in a kitchen where water is easily accessible, peoples’ initial reaction to a fire is to throw water on it to put out the flame. However, this is the exact opposite thing that you want to do when dealing with a grease fire. Putting water on a grease fire will only increase the size of the flames as well as the overall area of the fire. The first thing you should do is call for help as quickly as possible. If someone else is in the home with you, have them call for help while you asses the situation. If the fire is not yet out of control you can try to extinguish the flames yourself. The proper way to extinguish a grease fire is to cover the pan with a lid and to turn off the stove. Covering the pan with a lid will cut off the air supply therefore getting rid of the fire. Despite the desire to check if the flames have disappear make sure to let the pan and grease cool off, because if the lid is removed to quickly the flames will reappear just as fast. The other way to get rid of a grease fire is to use a fire extinguisher that is nearby. This is the appropriate way to extinguish a grease fire. Keep in mind that grease fires are extremely dangerous and can cause a lot of fire damage. Overall, the most important thing to keep in mind is your safety, so if you feel the fire is out of control, be sure to exit the home quickly and call for help.

If you have fire or smoke damage, call Restoration Local 24/7 at 1-888-443-3110 for a free estimate!

24/7 Call Now: 1-888-443-3110