Hiring a Mold Removal Company: Knowing When to Hire a Mold Remediation Company
If you believe there is mold in your home, you can’t afford to put off dealing with it. The longer you’re in contact with mold, the higher the odds of it affecting you. In some cases, you can clean mold on your own. However, there are several advantages to hiring a mold removal company.
Do I Have Mold?
Aside from seeing mold, the most common sign of mold is persistent water or moisture. Other indications of a mold problem include musty odors, unusual spots or stains, ceiling and wall discoloration, and water stains. You may also have show symptoms as well. Most mold symptoms are similar to allergies and include congestion, runny nose, itchy eyes, and sore throat. Although the basement, kitchen, and bathroom are the most common areas for mold, it can grow anywhere this is a persistent water issue. If you are concerned you have mold, it’s best to assume you do have mold.
Can I Remove Mold On My Own?
Depending on the exact situation you can remove small amounts of mold on your own. According to the EPA, you can safely remove mold if the area is smaller than 3 feet by 3 feet. If the mold contamination is larger than that, they recommend you hire a mold removal company.
Some of the other factors would include the extent of the damage, the type of materials involved, and the equipment you use. The most important thing to remember is that mold is caused by a source of water. While you can clean the surface mold, it will return if the water issue is not fixed.
You should also take safety concerns into consideration as well. Anyways wear personal protective equipment when removing mold. Wear pants, long sleeves, gloves, and a ventilator when removing mold. Place items contaminated with mold in thick plastic bags to prevent spreading mold throughout your property during disposal.
The type of items affected will play a part in the removal process. Plastics and other non-porous surfaces are much easier to clean than porous materials like wood and drywall. It’s best to throw away easily replaceable items. Never try to clean antique furniture, heirlooms, artwork, or other valuables on your own.
Why You Should Hire a Mold Removal Company
A mold removal company doesn’t just remove the mold, but they disinfect the area and repair the cause of the moisture. A trained mold remediation technician know exactly how to safely remove mold problems of all sizes. After removing the mold and resolving the water issues, they will test to ensure the mold is completely gone.
Advantages to Hiring a Mold Removal Company
- Equipment – Mold removal and remediation companies have the proper equipment to remove mold, resolve the water issue, and prevent mold from spreading.
- Experience – Most mold removal companies have years of experience and their technicians have resolved similar situations many times before.
- Training – The majority of mold remediation companies and technicians are trained in the mold removal process.
- Certification – Many companies and technicians are certified by an accredited agency.
- Complete Detection – With their training, experience, and equipment, a mold remediation company will identify the source of the mold and the extent of the contamination.
- Comprehensive Restoration – After identifying the extent of your mold problem, they offer complete mold removal and restoration services.
Hiring a Mold Removal Company In Your Area
Restoration Local makes hiring a mold removal company in your area easy. We have partners across the country in our network of mold remediation companies. Find a mold removal contractor in your area now or call 1-888-443-3110 to speak to the on-call mold remediation company in your area. Our on-call mold removal companies offer 24-hour emergency services, 30-minute response time, and a free estimate.