Restoration Local Advantage 1-888-443-3110
- 24/7 Rapid Response & Free Estimates!
- Flooded Basement Restoration Services
- Sewer Clean Up and Restoration
- Emergency Water Damage Clean Up. Get A Response in 60 Minutes.
Burst Pipes Tips & Advice
During the colder months pipes can burst just about any time. Burst pipes mean trouble and headaches in the form of water damage. In the winter water freezes and expands creating such strong amounts of pressure that it can cause cracks in rocks, statues and buildings. If this freezing water happens to be in your pipes it can cause serious damage. Once a pipe burst water can immediately begin draining into your home, or it can happen over time as the ice warms up and melts. No matter what the case is people should always take steps to prevent bursting pipes and if a problem does arise there are certain steps to take in reducing water damage and cleaning up the mess. The following tips and advice should be kept in mind when trying to prevent and deal with water damage from burst pipes.
- To prevent busting pipes it is important to make sure to shut off the water to any outside faucets that are not needed during the winter months. The best time to do this in most cases is during the end of fall. However, it may be earlier or later in the season depending on the temperature and how often you need to use your faucets.
- An additional step to take to prevent bursting pipes in your home is to make sure you don’t turn down the thermostat too low. Most of the time people keep the temperature up far enough that they never need to worry about this however, when people leave on vacation they often turn down the temperatures in their home to save money on the energy bill. Turning down the temperature too low can cause the water in your pipes to freeze and lead to water damage.
- If you find yourself dealing with a burst pipe you should immediately turn off the water to that pipe in your home. It can be difficult to figure out where to turn off the water if you haven’t dealt with the problem before. In these cases it is best to call a water restoration company to come turn off the water and to fix the pipe and clean up the water damage.
- After stopping further water from entering your home the next step should be cleaning up the mess. The method of cleanup largely depends on the extent of the leak. A small leak can be soaked up with towels and dried with a box fan. However, larger messes can soak into floorboards of the home causing further damage if not cleaned up fast enough or properly. Water damage specialist can help by determining the extent of the damage and the best method of action for cleanup.
Burst pipes are always very frustrating and a major inconvenience but it is important to always take the appropriate steps to clean up water damage. Prevention is always the best method but if you do find yourself dealing with water damage be sure to call a water restoration specialist to take care of the mess quickly and effectively.