Cleanup After a Burst Pipe
Water damage from a burst pipe often happens unexpectedly, leaving homeowners unprepared for cleaning up the mess. Burst pipes happen when water is left inside of pipes and temperatures drop below freezing. When the water inside the pipes freezes it expands cracking or completely breaking the pipe. Often times this happens in basements where people are not around to identify the problem right away, resulting in flooding and water intrusion. It is important to know the steps to take when coming across a burst pipe, so that you can act appropriately and minimize any further damage from leaking water.
Burst Pipe Water Damage? Call Restoration Local 24/7 at 1-888-443-3110 for a free estimate!
- Turn Off the Water Source- When coming across a burst pipe it is important to first turn off the water to your home. Taking this first step is important because it stops any additional leaking water from flooding your home. If you do not know where or how to turn off the main water supply to your home it is important to learn before disaster strikes.
- Assess Damages- After turning off the source of the water it is important to quickly assess the extent of the damage. If there is a large amount of water from the leak, then it is best to call a water damage company to cleanup the mess. However, if you stopped the leak quickly, you might be able to take care of the damages on your own. Take the time to remove items from the waterlogged area and sort through items that need to be restored and what needs to be thrown out. Keeping water damaged items without appropriate cleanup can lead to mold growth, which is linked to many health related issues.
- Dry Out Water Logged Area- It is important to quickly remove all water and thoroughly dry the area. If necessary, sump pumps or mops and sponges can be used to remove the water from the home, depending on the extent of the flooding. After water is removed it is important to dry the area out completely. The best way to dry out an area is to use a combination of fans, ventilation and dehumidifiers to remove the water. If the room with water damage is carpeted, sections of the carpet can be pulled back and a high-powered fan should be used to blow air underneath the carpet. If the room is not thoroughly dried out mold can start growing within 48 hours.
- Cleaning Up- After the water is removed and the area is dried out it is important to clean the contaminated area. Depending on where the water came from it could be filled with contaminates or fecal matter. For this reason it is important to clean the area at least twice while letting the area dry in between cleanings.
- Finding the Source- When everything else is taken care of it is important to find the source of the burst pipe so that it can be fixed or replaced. Make sure to fix the broken pipe before turning the water back on to the house, or else further flooding will ensue.
Take The Right Steps After A Burst Pipe
Flooding from a burst pipe can be very frustrating, but it is important to take the right steps when cleaning up water damage. If you need help cleaning up the mess or replacing a broken pipe water restoration specialist are on call 24 hours a day to help restore your home back to normal. Take the time to call a water damage expert before water intrusion becomes unmanageable.