Restoration Local Advantage 1-888-443-3110
- 24/7 Rapid Response & Free Estimates!
- Flooded Basement Restoration Services
- Sewer Clean Up and Restoration
- Emergency Water Damage Clean Up. Get A Response in 60 Minutes.
Fire damage caused by dryers causes millions of dollars in damages annually. Fire damage also claims many lives each year. Sadly, most dryer fires can be prevented. As a heavily used appliance, the drying machine in your home should be checked frequently to make sure it is running properly. This will not only save you money, it can save your life. With a few simple steps you can significantly reduce the risk of a dryer fire.
- Check the lint filter and clean it out after EVERY load. If the lint trap is full, your dryer won’t run efficiently and the loose lint can catch fire.
- Check the filter behind the dryer, too. There’s a lint catch that you should be able to reach behind and pull out. This should be checked and cleaned periodically to make sure it’s not preventing lint from escaping the hoses.
- Clean out the dryer’s vent hose. Vent hoses often become clogged with lint that has built up over time – especially if they are plastic. Use metal ducts if possible. Lint is less likely to build up in these types of hoses because they don’t sag like the plastic ones do. (Do not use foil vent hoses.)
- Clean out the vent that exits the home. This vent can also become clogged with lint and should be cleaned out periodically.
The biggest sign that your dryer needs to be cleaned out is slower drying time. If you find yourself having to dry loads more than once to get them completely dry, it’s definitely time to clean out all vents and hoses. You can even use a vacuum cleaner to perform this task.
However, don’t feel like you should wait for this to occur. Be proactive and make it a habit to clean your lint filter after every load and all other aspects of your dryer periodically to make sure your dryer is running properly.
For fire damage restoration or water damage restoration that results from a fire (or anything else), don’t hesitate to give us a call.