Restoration Local Advantage 1-888-443-3110
- 24/7 Rapid Response & Free Estimates!
- Flooded Basement Restoration Services
- Sewer Clean Up and Restoration
- Emergency Water Damage Clean Up. Get A Response in 60 Minutes.
Mold and Its Effect On Your Health
Okay, we all know that mold in the home is a bad thing. It shows up promptly following water damage and can be the single most difficult element to rid yourself of, many times becoming an even bigger problem than the initial water damage that started the ruckus. Furthermore, it presents a very real and present danger to the health of those living in the home. This is probably the single most important reason for getting on the ball, so to speak, when it comes to ridding your home of mold.
As I mentioned, mold is a health hazard, one that is all the more problematic for those living in the house who may already have serious health concerns. I’m talking about asthmatics, or folks with severe allergies, not to mention those who may be dealing with weakened immune systems such as very young children or the elderly. Mold allergies can cause flu like symptoms, toxic reactions, skin infections, and pneumonia.
If you have symptoms that indicate a mold allergy, you should seek an allergist and get tested to determine your sensitivity to mold. Look around your home for signs of water spots, any indication of additional leaks in the home. Any one of these spots may result in mold growth if not properly dried out and treated.
If your carpeting gets wet, dry it out completely, since any moisture that remains in the carpet can be ground zero for new mold growth. Remember any time you are dealing with a carpet spill, you may have to dry out and treat the flooring beneath the carpet. It doesn’t take much residual moisture to cause mold to begin to grow.
If there are areas in the home where moisture is prevalent or an ongoing problem, install a dehumidifier and run it on a regular basis. These devices are invaluable for keeping moisture levels within acceptable parameters.
Buy your own mold testing kit. You don’t have to spend big bucks to have your home tested for mold as one of these affordable kits can tell you if you have a mold problem. Once you have located the source of the mold, get rid of it.
If allergy symptoms persists, see an allergist or pulmonary specialist and discuss whether or not they believe you are dealing with a mold allergy. Recovering from an illness like pneumonia can take a long time, but mold symptoms can persist even longer. Mold related asthma attacks should be treated promptly, and toxic reactions to mold have been known to have fatal results.
When dealing with significant mold growth, and particular when dealing with toxic mold or black mold, you should always call in a mold remediation professional. These outfits bring with them the expertise and experience to rid your home of mold without inadvertently making the problem worse. Remember that mold is a problem that will not get better on its own. Address the problem now before it begins affecting your health or the health of your family.