Mold Hazards and Mold Companies
Mold is certainly one of those societal villains that we have been taught to avoid from young children. The common remedies to stop mold: don’t leave bread out in the sun, keep your things dry, take the damp towel outside when wet, and many many more. Interestingly, when I asked my friend what his first thought was when presented with the word “mold” he replied, “I quickly think of furry, green fungi that grows on bread left out in the sun too long.” True, this is a correct overall assessment of mold, but when our houses are dealt the blow of water damage, it is very necessary to truly understand its origins, characteristics and consequences.
First off, lets define what mold is. Molds are microscopic organisms, formally known as fungi that belong to the fungi kingdom. The way they reproduce is through airborne spores, which when they burst, fling spores into the air. As they land on foreign surfaces they will proliferate into colonies and of course, will repeat the cycle again and again until it becomes visible to the naked eye.
The requirements needed for mold survival are naturally oxygen, a specific temperature range and most importantly in this case, a moist environment. As a result of this condition, mold is most infamously known in being found in houses where there is a lot of moisture, such as in the bathroom, flooded basement, kitchen and other areas where water can seep into, cause a rise in moisture content and allow mold to grow exponentially.
Now that we know the basics of how molds operate and thrives, we can now discover the hazards of mold. The most notable side effect of molds is how it can effect the human body. When in contact, mold can cause harmful allergic effects that include:
- Nasal congestion and irritation
- Mucous membrane irritation
- Asthma and respiratory effects
- Sneezing and coughing
It is important to note that the side effects above are not limited to only physical contact with mold. In fact, the most potent method that molds can effect human health is through the airborne spores that are used to reproduce and spread their colonies. These spores, if in close proximity to the person, will be breathed in and enter the respiratory system, where the allergic side effects listed previously will take place. In this case, the spores can cause severe respiratory problems that can be permanent.
Now that you’re shaking in your boots with all the bad news I just threw at you, I will have to balance it by giving you the good news. There are actually plenty of ways to prevent mold in entering your household. Since the surrounding environment is vital to a mold’s survival, you should reduce and always be mindful of the humidity in your home. In rooms that consistently are humid, it is advisable to open the windows of the area for about 30 minutes everyday.
The Most Common Cause of Mold
The most common reason for mold is of course, water damage. If you detect water damage, such as a flooded basement and wet floorboards, you should immediately first evacuate the area to make sure that you and your family is not exposed to surrounding air, the reason explained above. After that, it is most efficient is to contact Restoration Local, a professional water damage and mold remediation company at 1-888-443-3110 for a free estimate!