Restoration Local Advantage 1-888-443-3110

Residential and Commercial Water Damage Cleanup Services
  • 24/7 Rapid Response & Free Estimates!
  • Flooded Basement Restoration Services
  • Sewer Clean Up and Restoration
  • Emergency Water Damage Clean Up. Get A Response in 60 Minutes.

Mold in the Kitchen Can Cause Health Issues

Even if you are not a cook featured on the front cover of cookbooks sold around the world, you would still know that water is an essential ingredient in all sorts of cuisines and delicacies. Not only is there a lot of water in the casual kitchen but humidity and moisture is also common due to steaming of foods, etc. Of course, I would never say I am an accomplished chef myself, but from my limited experiences of cooking, I can tell you that if you are not thorough in cleaning and making sure your kitchen workspace is dry, you are essential asking for mold.

An area that is notorious for mold is the sink area. This is because it is obviously, a susceptible spot for mold to grow due it being continually wet. Fortunately, most sinks today use a material in which water will evaporate very easily and thus, will not give enough time to allow molds to grow.  Unfortunately, this results in many lowering their guard, thinking that that means no mold can grow at all. This is especially not true for the area around the kitchen sink that is not made with the same type of material the sink is. When these areas get wet, the water will not evaporate for some time, if at all, and coupled with the humidity usually found in a kitchen, will be the perfect environment for molds to grow. Also, another important area to consider that is overlooked is the bottom of the sink. The pipes that lead to the sink can be faulty, allowing water to spill and leak. When unchecked, this can also cause water damage and lead to mold damage.

Mold can cause serious health problems.

Mold can cause serious health problems.

Mold Prevention

A very easy way in preventing mold from growing in your kitchen is to keep the room as ventilated as possible. If possible, open windows to allow the excess humidity to escape. And for those that do not have accessible windows, it is essential to install a fan in your kitchen. A range to keep your humidity to is about 50%. Any higher sill greatly increase the environment’s ability to culture mold. Another way to prevent mold is to keep your counter tops dry and clean using antibacterial cleaning agents every day when necessary.

If mold is discovered in your kitchen, contact a professional for mold removal. This will ensure that the mold and any threat of it coming back can be ridden of. In the meantime, you can wipe down the areas of mold with an antibacterial spray. Make sure that you are not exposed to the mold though for a long period of time.

Overall, mold is a biohazard and should be treated as such. Do not believe that mold can be easily treated as when allowed to grow can spread rapidly to other areas of your household and increase the chances of health risks greatly. Be proactive in preventing mold by eliminating the area where it happens the most, the kitchen.

If you have mold or water damage, call Restoration Local 24/7 at 1-888-443-3110 for a free estimate!

24/7 Call Now: 1-888-443-3110