Restoration Local Advantage 1-888-443-3110
- 24/7 Rapid Response & Free Estimates!
- Flooded Basement Restoration Services
- Sewer Clean Up and Restoration
- Emergency Water Damage Clean Up. Get A Response in 60 Minutes.
Space Heaters & Home Safety
Just about everyone dreads the cold, harsh season of winter. Aside from winter taking its toll on people it also causes a lot of problems with utilities that we need for daily life. Between cars breaking down and roads needing repairs winters can be very costly to get through. Often times in the middle of winter when people need it the most their furnaces break down, leaving them in the cold. By the time people figure out that their heater is broken, decide what new furnace to buy and then schedule an appointment for installation, your home can get very cold. Most often people resort to buying space heaters to warm up their home in the meantime. Although this may work fairly well, the use of space heaters can be very dangerous if they are not used properly. Every winter there are thousands of homes stricken with fire damage or completely destroyed because of space heater related fires. It is very important to read the warning labels and safety instructions of your space heater before putting it to use. Here are some ways to practice safe space heater use within the home.
- It is important to keep space heaters away from any other objects. A good rule of thumb is to keep them three feet away from everything within the room, however be sure to read the safety instructions for a more specific distance.
- Space heaters use a lot of energy to heat up the room, which can create a lot of stress on electrical chords and outlets. This is why it is important not to use a space heater with an electrical outlet that is already in heavy use.
- Often times people want to get their space heaters in the most ideal spot in the room for maximum heat circulation, which can lead to the use of an extension chord. The use of extension chords are unsafe and most space heater safety instructions ask you not to use them. This can cause electrical fires or the melting of the electrical chords.
- When placing your space heater be sure not only to keep it away from objects on the ground but also make sure there is no potential for objects to fall down and knock over the space heater. If you have pets it is also a good idea to keep an eye on them so that they do not knock over the heater.
- Be sure to turn off space heaters when leaving the room and do not leave space heaters on when leaving the home. It is also a good idea to turn off space heaters if they have been in use for long periods of time.
- Although buying a new furnace can be very expensive, space heaters are not meant to be a long-term solution to a broken heater. After all, the expenses from a house fire and fire restoration repairs are much more expensive than buying a new furnace.
When using space heaters there are a lot of safety issues to keep in mind. These are some good starting points for safe usage of space heaters, however it is best to read the safety instructions that come with the product. Most of all be sure to use common sense when using a space heater, and don’t take risks with the safety of your home and your family.