What Not To Do With Mold
So many times, in cases of water damage and mold, not only do we not know what to do, but we also don’t know what not to do. Did that make sense? There are some common mistakes when it comes to matters of mold, especially, and we will look at a few of them.
Do not ignore the signs of mold when they are readily apparent. Mold makes itself known through allergic reactions, skin rashes, watery eyes, as well as the presence of mold growing within the home, accompanied by a strong, musty smell and water stains on the ceilings and walls.
Do not forego regular home maintenance, as this can set the stage for mold growth. This would include the repair of roof leaks, plumbing problems, breaks in the sewer line, as well as high humidity levels and wetness in your basement or crawlspace.
Do not assume that there is no mold present just because there is no visible mold growth. Many times mold grows inside walls, beneath floors, above the ceilings, in basements, attics, and the heating/cooling equipment ducts or piping. Mold will, in most cases, grow in areas that will not be readily apparent, and may require professional treatment to determine.
Do not assume that there is no mold because an area is dry. While mold needs moisture to form, it does not need it to survive. It will instead become dormant until conditions are favorable for it to grow again. Even dormant mold can cause illness.
Do not rely on bleach solutions to kill mold. Bleach is actually a very weak deterrent, and no manufacturer recommends the use of its bleach product to kill mold. Bleach does not conform to EPA regulations when it comes to mold treatment and remediation.